Monday, July 23, 2007

Give more attention to "What next?"

Each time I get ready to bring a piece to the group, I lean toward starting something new as opposed to fine tuning something I've already written. Strangely enough, this is something that bugs me in my classroom workshop. As a teacher, I want the kids to have "finished" some pieces, and experience that part of the process. Obviously, I'm not holding myself the same standard. Not all pieces are worth revisiting, but I wonder if I would take more satisfaction in finding something to develop and bring to some sort of closure, with the group's help along the way.

4 comments:

Tracey said...

I think this relates to Ellen's question about purpose. How can you know if a piece is finished if you're not sure what it is and what it's for?

Leah said...

You're right, Tracey. I'm a rookie on this blogthing, so I didn't actually read Ellen and Mary's comments until after I added my own post.

Tracey said...

No criticism intended, Leah. I think your post focuses the questions raised in the other comments. How do we get to the finish line with a piece? How do we help students get there?

Ellen said...

Start with the end in mind...?